My sister got married in October (it’s a good month; I highly recommend it). She just didn’t plan to do so. She and her now-husband took a side trip to the courthouse one Tuesday afternoon, and then finished out the rest of their day according to schedule. It was spur-of-the-moment, but also a long time coming. It’s hard to explain without resorting to caricatures and hyperbole, which I resort to on a regular basis anyway without even trying. They planned a small church wedding and reception for family and friends a month later, which was about as quickly as it could be put together, but which put it about two and a half weeks before I was due to deliver the Peanut. Needless to say, I wasn’t feeling up to a 5-hour drive and sleeping (or not sleeping) in a strange bed for one night, then another 5-hour drive the next day. You can probably guess why.
I hated missing her wedding. The pictures of it are lovely. She looks lovely. She looks happy. I sent a kitchen item that would make it there in time, and cast on a proper present from a knitter.
I chose to knit her a shawl. My sister is not what you would call a girly-girl. I do believe 95% of her wardrobe is t-shirts and jeans, in fact. Still, every woman needs something to make her feel pretty, even if she never opts to wear it outside of the house. I chose Citron, which isn’t lacy at all, but rather geometric and solid in its construction. You could call the ruched sections “ruffled,” but I wouldn’t.
I knitted this in Wool-Ease (she won’t hand-wash, I’m quite sure), which is a worsted weight yarn, and upped the needle size to a comfortable gauge (though I can’t remember the needle size exactly). It’s warm, it’s just a touch girly, and it’s bright freaking red.
If you look closely, you might notice something inconsistent. Specifically, an inconsistency in the shades of red. Let this be a cautionary tale to you, my friends; check your dyelots! I thought that Wool-Ease, being 80% acrylic, wouldn’t really have dyelot issues.
All four skeins are Brick Red, but one of them is a little less brick and a little more red. A little more cherry red, really. Naturally, fate being what it is, I started with the odd skein, so it takes up a sizable chunk of the center of the shawl. In dim light you’d never notice, and I certainly didn’t notice until I was well into the second skein and sitting in the bright, airy kitchen at my in-laws’, showing it off. Took me down a peg right quick.
I figure, the pattern’s called “Citron,” right? Well…this blood orange just has a really, really thick peel.
I washed it by hand and tossed it in the dryer, hoping the acrylic would soften up and the ruffle at the very end stop curling. It didn’t. I had to iron it. The lovely ladies at my knitting group advised me to steam the crap out of it, but my iron doesn’t steam at that low a setting. Using a towel barrier resulted in a wonky edge as well (ironing the curl in, instead of out), so I just upped it to one setting higher than the one for acrylic, dampened the ruffle with a spray bottle as I went, and kept the iron moving. I think it killed it quite effectively. The fabric isn’t completely dead, but it’s laying flat at the edge, which was the point of the 45 minutes I spent bent over the ironing board (that’s a lie – I spread it out on my bed so I could sit down).
Isosceles seems to think it’s worthy of her butt, anyway.
That’s high praise.